Transformers: The Last Knight has debuted a brand new International trailer with unseen footage. The fifth live-action film in the Transformers saga is due to land in UK cinemas on 22nd June.
Mark Wahlberg once again plays Cade Yeager with Peter Cullen returning as the classic voice of Optimus Prime.
The Last Knight shatters the core myths of the Transformers franchise, and redefines what it means to be a hero.
Humans and Transformers are at war, Optimus Prime is gone. The key to saving our future lies buried in the secrets of the past, in the hidden history of Transformers on Earth. Saving our world falls upon the shoulders of an unlikely alliance: Cade Yeager (Mark Wahlberg); Bumblebee; an English Lord (Sir Anthony Hopkins); and an Oxford Professor (Laura Haddock).
I’d say it contains a 60/40 percent ratio of explosions to outright gibberish, which indicates to me that it may be the most insane Transformers movie since Dark of the Moon. Judge for yourself.
So without doing one of io9’s big breakdowns, let’s just break this down all simple-like. We’ve got:
- Grimlock hanging around with Mark Wahlberg in a city dump
- Grimlock vomiting, continuing the franchise’s theme of Michael Bay’s love of robots having bodily fluids
- A bunch of weird robots that are 100 percent not Transformers apparently determined to murder children
- Another robot which may be a Transformer but looks very humanoid and is freaking me out
- A robot endangering its passenger by forcibly ejecting her onto the pavement, instead of just letting her exit the door, purely to be a dick
- A Transformer probably hanging out with Merlin
- Movie Optimus Prime murdering a Transformer, as is his wont
- Bumblebee hilariously endangering his passenger, Mark Wahlberg, just to do something cool and violent
- Some kind of a giant beanbag cannon breaking through the ceiling of an abandoned apartment building to shoot the comic relief
- A bunch of generic evil military dudes—not to be confused with the generic good military dudes—murdering Bumblebee by shooting all his limbs off
- Bumblebee breaking the wafer-thin Transformers movie continuity by all his pieces magically reattaching so he can murder a bunch of generic evil military dudes
And remember, somehow this still somehow involves a bunch of Transformers hanging out in medieval England and fighting with King Arthur, which is something that somehow all of humanity and all of the Transformers seem to have forgotten.