17-year-old Kumar Marewad, who resides in Dharwad district’s Managundi village in Karnataka, was bitten by a dog a month ago which resulted in a high fever last week, reports the Times of India.
After his Health deterioted, he was admitted to a hospital in Dharwad. The situation got worse and he was given Life-support system.
The doctors made it clear that he would die should he be removed from the ventilator. They informed the family that the infection had spread throughout Marewad’s body. The doctor also gave the family the options of either letting Marewad be or taking him home.
Kumar’s brother-in-law, Sharanappa Naikar, was quoted by TOI as saying,
“We had decided to take Kumar home after doctors told us his chances of survival were bleak once taken off the ventilator.”
On taking him home and noticing that Marewad was motionless and probably not breathing, his family members prepared themselves for his departure. They asked the villagers to make arrangements for his funeral.
While they were on their way to cremate Marewad, two kilometres away from the village, he opened his eyes, moved his limbs and breathed fast, to the family’s and villagers’ utter bewilderment.[adfunction]
He was subsequently taken to a hospital where he has been put on a ventilator given his critical condition. TOI quoted Dr Mahesh Neelakhantannavar as saying,
“Kumar is on ventilator. We suspect he suffers from meningoencephalitis, an infection caused due to dog bite,”
While Marewad has resurrected, his parents, who are daily wage laborers, still have more to worry about than celebrate. They told TOI,
“Kumar stopped going to school after class IX to support us. He used to work as a construction laborer. His elder brother is physically challenged. We need support for his treatment.”
Source: Times Of India